Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Playing with food

We are playing with our food at the moment! Whether we are refining our fine motor skills by cutting, pressing and molding playdough into food shapes,



or having picnics with our teddies



or learning to share and perfecting our manners,



or having a BBQ with friends,



We have lots of food play happening in our house this week!

I am blessed with a child that loves to help and be involved in EVERYTHING that I am doing. When my husband walks into the kitchen Moo often beams with pride and tells him that she is 'helping mummy'. Sometimes it is great to have such an enthusiastic helper but at other times it is difficult to deal with a child that desperately wants to help when it is not safe to do so (like pulling things in and out of ovens, frying with hot oils etc.). I try as much as I can to give her small manageable tasks to help with food preparations. As you can see from the pictures above I am working on building on a repertoire of food related activities with her play food toys. I am hoping that this will mean that if I need her out from under my feet in the kitchen she can still still involved by turning to her food toys to mimic what I am doing.

Here are just a few food related ideas of toddler appropriate tasks that we have come up with to help around the kitchen:

  • Putting food scraps in the green waste bin
  • Placing chopped vegetables into steamers or pots ready for cooking
  • Wiping down surfaces
  • Drying off her plates and cutlery after washing up
  • Carrying small items to cupboards and putting them away
  • Getting out plates and cutlery and placing them on the dining table
  • Placing cutlery into the correct slots in draws
  • Packing the dishwasher or letting her stand at the sink filled with bubbles to help with washing up
  • Using the salt and pepper shakers or grinders to help season food (be watching closely with this one!)



Sometimes I might get out a few old saucepans, wooden spoons, a whisk and then some random dry ingredients like rice, pasta or cereal in a cup without any instructions. It's interesting to see what she does with them. Sometimes she starts pouring and stirring and sometimes she just likes to hear what sounds they all make by having a drum session.

How do you play with your food? What ideas do you have for getting your child involved in the kitchen.

Thanks for reading!


3 comments:

Online Diploma said...


Thank you for this excellent & thoughtful post, so full of ideas.. it is helpful & your post motivated me..thank

jeremy said...

Awesome delights!

volleyballtoolbox.com

urdu maza said...


Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it,
you could be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog andPAkistani chat rooms online
will often come back at some point. I want to encourage continue your great work,pakistani girls mobile numbers list have a nice holiday weekend!
I enjoy studying your publish. It is each useful and interesting to me. I will come back again once again to see your new posts
urdu chat rooms pakistani girls and boys ,indain girls and boys,us girls and boys and Uk girls and boys chat room
live Chat rooms

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...